Re: .emacs and other config file questions

From: rustom
Subject: Re: .emacs and other config file questions
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:36:10 -0000

On Nov 15, 8:04 pm, Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/11/13 Tommy Kelly <tommy.ke...@verilab.com>:
>

> > Back to using emacs after a long absence. This is partly a test to see
> > if I've set up Gnus properly so as to post to gmane. But I've a few
> > acatual (although probably old and well-worn) questions on emacs
> > configuration. I've browsed gmane archives and googled about for info
> > but can't find anything definitive:
>
> > 1. "customize" versus Do It Yourself?
> > =====================================
> > Is there a general view as to the pros and cons of using customize
> > versus just writing the lisp yourself? Although I know very little lisp,
> > I'm inclined towards the latter -- primarily so I'm forced to
> > learn. Customize is cool and easy and simple, but I worry it leaves me
> > dependent on it. Make sense, or am I just trying to punch nails in with
> > my fist when even the cool kids these days use the customize nailgun?
> > Found a few items on this, including
> >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/25218which references
> > something back in 1999 that I couldn't locate.
>
> Take rcirc-track-minor-mode as an example, which if set through
> customize immediately takes effect whereas it doesn't if you just setq
> it. This is because rcirc-track-minor-mode is defined using
> define-minor-mode which evaluates code whenever its value changes.
>
> You shouldn't be afraid of using customize, it's there to help. The
> only problem as I see it is that it doesn't let you easily split up
> your customizations into separate files, but I could be wrong.
>
> --
> Deniz Dogan

"Only"??

Imagine a linux system in which /etc was not a directory but a single
mammoth file.  Acceptable?
Well on windows /etc somewhat corresponds to the registry which is a
single mammoth file but at least there is a tree editor for it so one
can home in as required.

To me customize is one of the major PITAs of emacs.