Unreadable buffer names in Emacs 23.2

From: Android Eve
Subject: Unreadable buffer names in Emacs 23.2
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:24:44 -0000

I upgraded from Emacs 21.2 to 23.2 (on Windows XP) and while I managed
to tweak my .emacs to fit most new changes, I couldn't find a solution
for the unreadable buffer names:

Neither in the minibuffer, nor in the buffer menu can the characters
be displayed normally. Instead, all I see are the infamous Unicode
blank rectangles.

All buffers are displayed perfectly (same font) - even with syntax
highlighting. Buffers that contain buffer names also display
everything properly -- except for buffer names!

I suspect this problem could be related to the new feature introduced
in Emacs 23.2 called "uniquify-buffer-name-style", but I tried 'toggle-
uniquify-buffer-names' and I placed the following in .emacs and that
didn't help:

(require 'uniquify)
(setq
  uniquify-buffer-name-style 'post-forward
  uniquify-separator ":")

Any idea how to fix or troubleshoot the problem? Any hint or tip would
be greatly appreciated.