Re: Changelogs, really useful?

From: Dmitrijs Ledkovs
Subject: Re: Changelogs, really useful?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:23:36 -0000

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Generate the changelog from the VCS in use when you Make the program.
>
> That looks like a nice solution, but sometimes the message is general
> ("some small changes"), would that add one entry log for every tiny
> function slightly modified?
>
> Or maybe it could be an interactive thing where I choose only what is
> really interesting?
>
> I found a couple of scripts (one [1] there), I'll see if they make sense...
>
> But it makes more sense to generate when I commit instead of when I make
> the program I guess.

Pipe to a file
$ bzr log --gnu-changelog

GNOME has automated similar but for git via a make snipped to generate
changelog at build time for a dist target for inclusion into tarball.

Also linux kernel is using $ git log to document changes. Why would you
ever need "detailed" and "less detailed" changelog? When the same
"detailed" logs can be shipped in both $vcs and generated and included
in the tarballs.

"less detailed" should be human written NEWS file instead =)