Re: Long pauses when opening files and other operations with emacs 23.

From: Keith S.
Subject: Re: Long pauses when opening files and other operations with emacs 23. and windows 7
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:26 -0000

On May 30, 1:46 pm, "killersud...@gmail.com" <killersud...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I recently migrated towindows7 and installed emacs 23.2.1.   Many
> operations cause emacs to stall for more than 10 seconds.  For
> example, opening a file usually causes this.  display-about-screen
> (ctrl-h, ctrl-a) always causes this.   ctrl-g has no effect.  Any
> suggestions?  Emacs is basically unusable.
>
> I have cygwin installed, but not on my path.  Nothing else special
> about the system.
> I have my $HOME set.
> after looking around I tried adding (setq w32-get-true-file-attributes
> nil) to my .emacs. No help there.
> I am doing this with a network connection.  That doesn't seem to
> matter.

I just upgraded from emacs 22.3 to 23.2 on Windows XP SP3, and am
having the same problem.

I do not have cygwin installed (or on my path). Even when I start
emacs with -q to bypass all startup options, I am running into the
same issue.

I do have a network drive installed, but it's not in my path, so it
shouldn't be responsible for the delays, unless emacs is trying to
scan it proactively (but inappropriately).

I've also noticed that the hang occurs when it goes to auto-save a
buffer. I've tried unloading tramp, which I know caused issues with
filename completion in the past -- no change.

I could definitely use some advice on this. Meanwhile, I'll probably
be going back to emacs22, which didn't have this problem.

Keith