Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:42:48 -0500

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

Half my problem is that I'm a klutz. For example, I must have struck
some key combination such that in gnus, displayed is only the quoted
material in the body, not the original material. To see what you had to
say, I have to follow up. No idea how to fix. In any case:

Thanks for the tip on tramp syntax. I carried a configuration over for
years without re-studying it.

> Now, this is a real treasure! This is exactly what I needed to locate
> the bug that was pestering you. ... Can you please check if the latest
> version (4R344) works OK for you now?  Thank you *very much* for
> reporting this, it did help a lot.

I found a 4R344 that differed only by a few hundred bytes from what I'm
using, but I assumed that it is nevertheless a fix rather than
version. In any case, I installed it, and it now works! I can hit RET
while a remote file is selected, and emacs opens so that I can edit and
save it. My only (petty) problem is that when I close the emacs editor
I'm not returned to the remote directory in which the test file was
located, but back to my local scratch page. I have to change buffers to
get back to where I was.

> (...)
>> all the confusion, who knows? When I fail to save a changed remote file,
>> there is no debug message, but in minibuffer is says "wrong type
>> argument: arrayp, nil".
>
> This is one I still haven't been able to reproduce. Don't you receive
> any stack trace at all, even after doing M-x toggle-debug-on-error?

I guess what I said above kinda makes this problem moot. The problem
seems to be resolved, and I thank you for your patient concern.

The only remaining challenge for me, although I suspect it is a question
of tramp rather than sunrise-commander is trying to access a user
account on a remote machine (teufel on my LAN) from within
Sunrise-Commander (SSH works otherwise):

In ~/.netrc I have:

  machine ftp.brownh@teufel.HistoricalMaterialism.info
    login brownh
    password ...

In .emacs I have:

  (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
  (setenv "teufel" "/ftp:brownh@ftp.teufel.HistoricalMaterialism.info")

When I do

  M-x f, $teufel

first for some reason I'm promoted for the password for my own local
account, and then, having provided it, the connection to teufel hangs
(Opening FTP connection to ftp...). Ange-ftp says:

  ftp>open ftp
  ftp: ftp: Name or service not knownftp> ftp>open ftp
  ftp: ftp: Name or service not knownftp>

Haines