Re: emacs documentation: what's active voice, passive voice?

From: Russ P.
Subject: Re: emacs documentation: what's active voice, passive voice?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:30:50 -0000

On Oct 3, 1:50 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Jay Belanger <jay.p.belan...@gmail.com> writes:
> >> Then I would have to write "I varied the parameters and ran the test
> >> again." That just doesn't strike me as good style for a technical
> >> paper.
>
> > Why not?
>
> The next test run used a different set of parameters.

Maybe, but I'm not sure. It seems to me that you've
anthropomorphisized the test run. The test run does not "use" the
parameters. The experimenter does. You could say, "The next test run
had a different set of parameters." But then you're back to passive
voice, or so it seems to me -- but what do I know?