Re: setting font size

From: Russ P.
Subject: Re: setting font size
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:34:11 -0000

On Nov 1, 6:50 pm, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2:33 am, "Russ P." <russ.paie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Using the same .emacs file that I use on Red Hat, I get a ridiculously
> > large font on the Ubuntu Emacs.  The only lines in my .emacs file that
> > I think could have an effect on font size are these:
>
> > (add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook #'(lambda()(use-local-map nil)))
> > (custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:size "14pt" :family "Courier 10
> > Pitch"))) t))
> > (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "Courier 10 Pitch")
> > (set-face-attribute 'default (selected-frame) :height 130)
>
> The second line above is setting your font to a huge 14pt. The forth
> line is resetting it to a slightly less huge 13pt.
>
> I'd suggest removing the last two lines and setting the font through
> customize, where you can see the results as you set it.
>
> Apparently your Red Hat installation must be getting your monitor dpi
> wrong if it is not displaying 14 and 13pt fonts at a large size.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried commenting out those
lines and it made no difference. Then I figured the problem could be
that my .emacs file is just not executing to completion, but now I am
pretty sure it is.

I find it frustrating that the same (or close to the same) version of
Emacs with the exact same .emacs file behaves completely differently
on two different Linux distributions (Red Hat and Ubuntu). I've never
had this kind of problem with XEmacs.

I've also had other problems with Emacs that I never had with XEmacs
in over 20 years of using it. For example, I reported here a few weeks
ago that Emacs is FAR slower than XEmacs for remote operation. Others
here helped me with a nice workaround for that problem (sshfs), but it
is still not a good indication of the Emacs software quality.

Here is another little thing that bothers me about Emacs, and this one
is probably my own little pecadillo. XEmacs has a nice little pull-
down menu item for setting the font size directly. Emacs apparently
does not have that, so I have to sit and try to guess how to do it. I
knew a few weeks ago, but I forgot. But the point is, why should I
have to remember? Why not just make it simple, as in XEmacs?

The only reason I have to use Emacs is that I want to use ENSIME (an
IDE for Scala). Were it not for that, I would surely just stay with
XEmacs. I get no pleasure from saying that, I'm just reporting my
experience. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone here, because I
will probably need your help in the future! I just hope the problems
with Emacs can be corrected.

Russ P.