Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:32:23 +0100

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Frankly that's just bullshit.
>> > Do you think an IDE could help you to solve problems with Emacs?
>
> Of course it would.  Tracing, profiling and similar tools are
> available for languages which are more powerful than extension
> languages.

They are REQUIRED to be able to work with languages that are LESS
powerful than lisp.

>> > If it hangs and there is something serious your IDE will crash as well.
>
> And you would debug it inside the IDE too.  What environment do you
> think Eclipse developers use to debug Eclipse and its plugins?

We also use emacs lisp to debug emacs lisp.

Now, I grant you that we have a problem, in that some of emacs has been
written in C, instead of lisp.  This is for historical and practical (at
the time) reasons: to help spreading emacs, it had to be available on
unix system, where lisp compilers weren't easily available.

Nowadays, there are more lisp compilers on linux than C compilers, so it
would be easy to rewrite emacs in lisp.