Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:27:57 +0100

Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@eku.edu> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Get NoGnus from Git : major IMAP speed up. That said I still recommend a
>> local Dovecot server. Why not? The overhead is little and its just so
>> much faster AND you have your email when offline. Dovecot stores as
>> Maildir too.
>
> Where do I find NoGnus? Is that just the development version of gnus
> downloaded from the git repo? Is that necessary if I'm already using the
> a developmental bzr version of Emacs (24.0.50.1) which comes with Gnus
> v5.13?

No idea. I dont even know why its called NoGnus. It is confusing :
you're not alone there.

>> Keep at it. Gnus is a bugger to configure. But when you get there it
>> repays you in spades.
>
> No kidding. Two steps forward, three steps back. If I don't get this
> running semi-smoothly soon I'll be out of time for this latest attempt.
> It's a nice idea, but when config time runs over multiple hours for a
> mail reader, it's going to take months of super-efficiency to compensate
> for the lost time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tyler

Heh. I had splitting working for ages and have now given up again. The
splitting (spam-split) Gurus seem to be away on holidays.

As for NoGnus, yeah even finding that can be fraught as there seem to be
a few about. Here is where I cloned from:

http://git.gnus.org/

In case its not mentioned there, you need to set your path to this clone
and then also call

  (load "gnus-load")  ;; Needed if using  nognus.

Good luck!

r.