Re: emacs-w3m version incompatibility

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m version incompatibility
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:16:55 -0500

Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za> writes:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 09:39:14 -0500, Haines Brown
> <haines@HistoricalMaterialism.info> wrote:
>
>> I'm runing emacs 23.2.1 under Debian squeeze. When emacs loads I get the
>> debugging report of a LISP error: "Emacs-w3m of this version does not
>> support Emacs23; try the development version."
>>
>> Installed is w3m-0.5.2-9 and the development version of the
>> interface for w3m, which is w3m-el-snapshot (version
>> 1.4.400+0.20100725-1).
>>
>> In .elisp I have the following lines:
>>
>> (setq load-path (append load-path (list
>>      "~/elisp/w3m/"
>> )))
>
> [snip]
>
> I've got working emacs-w3m on Debian.
>
> In my case only w3m (0.5.2-2+lenny1) is installed and not w3m-el.
> However, dependencies such as apel and flim were installed using apt.
>
> emacs-w3m is from CVS:
> http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/
>
> In .emacs I simply have
> ;;emacs-w3m
> (add-to-list 'load-path
> "/home/jonathan/lisp/w3m-cvs/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m/")
> (require 'w3m-load)
> (require 'mime-w3m)
>
> Note that my ~/lisp/w3m-cvs folder is the folder that I 'make
> install'ed into. I wish I had saved a reference for the exact
> .configure command that I used, but I recall that I had to specify the
> path to the debian install of apel/flim and also specify my custom
> install directory as lisp/w3m-cvs
>
> If you want my ~/lisp/w3m-cvs folder then you can get it by cloning my
> git repo: http://github.com/eyesonly/emacs-configuration (amd64 Debian
> stable).

Jonathan, your recommendations appreciated, but you are running Debian
Lenny, and I'm running squeeze. So my w3m, which is a squeeze binary, is
verion 0.5.2-9.

On problem here is that I have the w3m deb binary installed and also the
w3m files separately in ~/elisp. I'm working backward to eliminate that
problem.

In any case, the error message seems to refer to the w3m interface,
emacs-w3m. It sounds like this interface not up to support emacs 23, and
so I need the development version of the emacs-w3m interface. In fact, I
installed w3m-el-snapshot debian binary, which is the development
version of emacs-w3m that should be compatible with emacs23. You say
your w3m works with emacs without the interface, but everything I read
say the interface is needed.

Both emacs-w3m and emacs.el are referred to as the w3m interface, and so
I'm left confused. Also, when I look at w3m-el, it has installation
directions that same compile; make install as if it were C source code,
but in fact it is Lisp code that does not need compiling. Simply put the
Lisp files into ~/elisp/w3m and told .elisp where to find them.

Haines Brown