Re: Icicles

From: prad
Subject: Re: Icicles
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:17:56 -0800

> Because someone new to Icicles is not yet familiar with the features
> and how they fit together, it can be tempting to want to customize
> things immediately, to shoot for the keys you are used to, etc.  That
> is like a VI user switching to Emacs and wanting to use a VI emulator
> to support the habit.
>
> You can do that - nothing wrong with it, but if you do you will not
> necessarily learn what Icicles or Emacs really has to offer, in terms
> of synergy: how one part can help another part do things better.

thank you drew for the detailed explanations and ideas. i feel doubly
fortunate that i get to use something as fine as icicles and have the
author as coach. it can't get any better!

for me, i think you have made a significant point through your
explanations. i likely try to fiddle with too much too soon and should
make more of an effort to understand the capabilities and intent of the
software's defaults so as to get my bearings right first.

i acknowledge this can be difficult to do when there is such a wealth of
items available through something like emacs. while trying to learn
gnus, i wanted to learn how to use icicles better and that led me
somehow to org. so i've joined all the relevant groups and spend more
time reading the posts (of people wanting to implement things and others
coming up with neat solutions that i don't always understand) than
working on learning the software. self-discipline is definitely what is
required!

imho, open source is the next best thing to sliced bread (thx to people
like you who generously create things we all can use) ... and since i
don't eat bread, it's pretty well number one on my list!

--
in friendship,
prad