Re: Help with completing-read

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Help with completing-read
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:03:52 -0600

On Jan 20, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> The software I'm working on is doing this:
>> (let ((completing-read-func (if (null ido-mode)
>>                                  'completing-read
>>                              'ido-completing-read)))
>>    (setq ri-topic (or ri-topic
>>                       (funcall completing-read-func
>>                              "yari: "
>>                              (yari-ruby-obarray rehash)
>>                              nil
>>                              (yari-symbol-at-point)))))
>
>> The obarray has a list of methods with their complete class path like
>> ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::SchemaStatements#create_table
>
>> What I'd like to be able to do is allow the user to just type
>> create_table and then have a list of completions which would be the
>> full class paths of for those classes that have a create_table method.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the details of what you're asking for
> (e.g. what part of the name do you want to list as completion, and where
> do you want it to be listed).
>
> Does ido-completing-read already do what you want?  If not, why not?
> The default completion code provides a `substring' completion style in
> Emacs-24 (not provided in Emacs-23) and it sounds close to what you
> want, but OTOH ido-completing-read also provides it, so maybe you want
> some else.
>
> Or do you want something more like what filecache.el provides?

ido-mode seems what I wanted.  At least it is 99% there.

But, just to clarify, the entries in my list look like:

ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::SchemaStatements#create_table

I wanted to be able to type (or start typing) any of these substrings:

ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::SchemaStatements#create_table
ConnectionAdapters::SchemaStatements#create_table
SchemaStatements#create_table
create_table

So, if I type "creat" and hit tab, it would find

ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::SchemaStatements#create_table

in the list and offer it to me as one of the completions.

I assumed I would have to hook in to the completion process at some point
and was trying to figure out where.

With ido-mode turned on, I am getting a super set of what I wanted but
thats fine.  I noticed the ido-mode flag and glanced at the documentation
but it seemed buffer and file specific.

Thanks again for your time.

Perry