Re: Is this correct?

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: Is this correct?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 15:38:26 +0000

On 2/26/2011 2:07 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

My guess is that the parentheses have been misplaced.

????? Doesn't force-mode-line-update work for you?

No, it isn't working. We had an outstanding bug report in VM and Tim has finally tracked it down to this problem.

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.vm.info/browse_thread/thread/20a83d2fd969386c/b81b15ca3baa29d2?lnk=gst&q=menu+bar#b81b15ca3baa29d2

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/vm/+bug/605799

VM is calling force-mode-line-update in a Folder buffer, which is generally invisible. The function is updating its menubar, but not that of the currently visible buffer. Even after I change it the way I mentioned in my previous post, it still doesn't work because the "other-buffer" also turns out to be the Folder buffer for some reason or the other.

I gets better: `(set-buffer-modified-p (buffer-modified-p))'
apparently does nothing, because it sets the buffer's modified flag to
the same value it has already.  So this function actually does nothing
at all, right?

That would be logical, but I am guessing from force-mode-line-update's doc string that this has the effect of updating the mode line, menu bar and the rest.

It is a pity that set-buffer-modified-p's doc string doesn't do justice to all that it does!

Cheers,
Uday