Re: Tramp: how to set path to remote shell?

From: Ethan Brown
Subject: Re: Tramp: how to set path to remote shell?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:29:17 -0700

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Michael Albinus
<michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
> Ethan <ethandbrown@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> The path to my shell on my local machine is /bin/bash.  When
>> attempting to bring up a shell on the remote machine I get the error:
>>
>> exec: /bin/bash: not found
>>
>> Process shell<2> exited abnormally with code 127
>>
>> It seems that tramp is using the path from my local machine as the
>> path on the remote machine.  The actual remote machine path for bash
>> is /usr/local/bin/bash.  Does anyone know which variable to set so
>> that tramp uses the correct path to bash on the remote machine?   I
>> did RTFM, but didn't find it.
>
> I suspect you have applied "M-x shell", haven't you? In this case,
> `shell-file-name' (your local login shell) is used for opening the
> shell. You can overwrite this by either setting environment variable
> $ESHELL, or by setting `explicit-shell-file-name'.
>
>> Thanks.
>
> Best regards, Michael.

Hi Michael--

Thanks so much for your quick response.  You are correct that I'm
running "M-x shell".  I suppose I'll need to write a bit of code to
toggle the shell path so I can reset it to the local path when I'm
running "M-x shell" locally instead of remotely.  Too bad there isn't
something to set that works only in the tramp context.

--Ethan