Re: Emacs insert empty string

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Emacs insert empty string
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:18:37 +0100

Am 24.03.2011 um 11:25 schrieb Kenneth Brun Nielsen:

Now I "regret" outcommenting the commands 600-800. Again I select the
lines/columns of interest and use the 'CTRL-x rt' command and remove
the "*" column (i.e. replace the first column with an empty string)

The documentation, in my interpretation and understanding, does not tell it would work. Because the rectangle functions *insert* and don't *overwrite* (maybe they would do when you activate overwrite-mode). And an empty inserted stays invisible otherwise it would not be an empty string but a (file and disk space) consuming string. Since decades (or such) I do something like this these modern days on the marked first column (i.e., mark in left-most column, point one column forward to the right, or vice-versa, or in numbers: 0 and 1):

        C-x r k

Does my explanation make sense?

Yes.

--
Greetings

  Pete

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists solutions
are things that are still all mixed up.