Re: w3m-el-snapshot installation

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: w3m-el-snapshot installation
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 11:31:33 +1100

Haines Brown <haines@HistoricalMaterialism.info> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
>> Haines,
>>
>>> When I try to run the w3m command in an emacs session without any init
>>> file, I get "[no match]".
>>
>> I assume you mean emacs -q.  (for emacs -Q, this would be normal).
>
> No, by "without any init" I means with -q option. I'm not clear whether
> or not the "[no match]" is proper.

>> If you get this for emacs -q, then indeed there's something wrong with
>> your installation.
>
> Indeed, this was the response with emacs -q and now I repeat to be
> sure. Only a minor point: the sequence is a) M-x locate-library, b) RET,
> c) w3m, d) No library w3m in search path. I.e., the order I used is
> different).
>
>> I would suggest to purge the "w3m-el-snapshot" package (key _ in
>> aptitude), and install it again.  Please watch the output.  Does it
>> say something about byte-compiling?
>
> I purged w3m-el-snapshot and w3m and reinstalled debian squeeze
> w3m-el-snapshot. In answer to your question, the w3m-el-snapshot was not
> byte-compiled. Here's the end of the feedback:

>   Unpacking w3m-el-snapshot (from
>             .../w3m-el-snapshot_1.4.400+0.20100725-1_all.deb) ...
>   Processing triggers for menu ...
>   Processing triggers for man-db ...
>   Processing triggers for install-info ...
>   Setting up w3m (0.5.2-9) ...
>   Setting up apel (10.8-1) ...
>   install/apel: byte-compiling for emacs23, logged in
>            /tmp/elc.ZOMVotML0oJ0
>   install/apel: deleting /tmp/elc.ZOMVotML0oJ0
>   install/apel: byte-compiling for reverse dependency
>   Setting up flim (1:1.14.9+0.20100313-2) ...
>   install/apel: already byte-compiled for emacs23, skipped
>   install/flim: byte-compiling for emacs23, logged in
>           /tmp/elc.0A1vGIUGCqTr
>   install/flim: deleting /tmp/elc.0A1vGIUGCqTr
>   install/flim: byte-compiling for reverse dependency
>   Setting up w3m-el-snapshot (1.4.400+0.20100725-1) ...
>   install/apel: already byte-compiled for emacs23, skipped
>   Processing triggers for menu ...
>
> It looks to me that w3m, apel, flim and w3m-el-snapshot were all "set
> up", but w3m-el-snapshot was not "installed: byte compiling". Nothing
> followed the last line. I again tried the tests above, and results are
> the same. I still do not have a /usr/share/emacs23/site-list/w3m
> directory to hold the .elc files.
>
> Haines Brown

Personally, I gave up with Debian's emacs and elisp packages. They are
often very out of date and maintenance seems to have slipped in recent
years.

The w3m-el stuff is very easy to just install from sources. I use git to
get the latest development sources and just build and run them from that
directory. Once you have things setup, it is trivial to update and
re-build.

I got the sources form the github emacsmirror repository, which has lots
of useful git based elisp code.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au