Re: emacs and screen

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: emacs and screen
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 15:07:50 +0000 (UTC)

Lake Shore Dr <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> Congratulations.  Screen is an application that is really worth making
> it work.  You just dettach/reattach your session at home/work/wherever
> and never stop what you are doing.

Yeah, I hadn't really used screen before even though I'd been a
unix user for a very long time. Now that I've started using it,
I'll likely use it everywhere.

> Also, what were you writting in .screenrc?  'term xterm' or 'term "xterm"'
> with double quotes?  To me 'term "xterm"' gives the right value of the
> $TERM variable.

I was using in my .screenrc:

term xterm

>From the man page for screen:

   term term

   In each window's environment screen opens, the $TERM variable is set to
   "screen" by default.  But when no description for "screen" is installed
   in  the  local  termcap or terminfo data base, you set $TERM to - say -
   "vt100". This won't do much harm, as screen is  VT100/ANSI  compatible.
   The  use  of the "term" command is discouraged for non-default purpose.
   That is, one may want to specify special $TERM  settings  (e.g.  vt100)
   for  the  next  "screen  rlogin  othermachine" command. Use the command
   "screen -T vt100 rlogin othermachine" rather than setting and resetting
   the default.

I thought the double quotes were just literal specifers for the values,
not actually required.

The entry for 'termcap' below the above entry gives some examples like this:

termcap xterm*  LP:hs@
termcap vt100  ""  l0=PF1:l1=PF2:l2=PF3:l3=PF4

So I thought

term xterm

was ok.

I just tried it with

term "xterm"

and got the correct functionality.

I appreciate your suggestion! Thank you!

-pete