Re: reading compile.el, modifying settings

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: reading compile.el, modifying settings
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 12:44:04 +0200

Paul Graham <pgraham@oasys-ds.com> writes:

Hi Paul,

> I use compile mode, but I have my own set of compiler
> message regexps.  I try to set them up as follows:
>
> .emacs:
>
>     (load "compile")
>     (load-file "~/emacs/compile-settings.el")
>
> compile-settings.el:
>
>     (setq compilation-error-regexp-alist ... )

That looks good, except one would normally do (require 'compile), but
that shouldn't be any different here.

> However, when I compile in emacs, I end up with the
> default compiler message regexps.  I then have to
> manually eval the load of compile-settings.el to
> get my settings.
>
> I think that when emacs starts up, it picks up my
> setting for compilation-error-regexp-alist, but does
> not immediately load compile.elc.  Then when I do my
> first compile, it loads compile.elc, and overwrites
> my settings.

No, `load' shouldn't defer loading.  And even if it did, it should do no
harm, because `compilation-error-regexp-alist' is a defcustom and like
for defvars, the default value is only set if the variable is not
already bound.

Hm, maybe you should check if there is some other compile.el on your
load-path which gets loaded instead of the "real emacs" compile.el.
(M-x list-load-path-shadows RET).

Bye,
Tassilo