Re: about colors

From: William Stevenson
Subject: Re: about colors
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 01:06:30 +0100

x-post as this didn't show up on gmane.

sergio <mailbox@sergio.spb.ru> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I'm newbie in emacs and my first problem is colors. I don't like default
> colors. Moreover I think, that background-mode light is better for dark
> background, than background-mode dark. I've seen color-theme mode, but no one
> theme from it I liked and it is standalone mode. I want to make my own theme.

rainbow-mode is super handy when making color themes:
http://julien.danjou.info/rainbow-mode.html

When you're testing your color theme some properties, such as
background-color, will not change, try the theme in a new session.

Read and copy some other themes, I copied mine from a theme I liked
called chocolate rain.
https://github.com/marktran/color-theme-chocolate-rain

I put mine up today, color-theme-cool-dark
https://github.com/yhvh/color-theme-cool-dark

and a still very new, light theme for gnome-3
https://github.com/yhvh/color-theme-gnome-3-adwaita

> ... But how to find all color
> that I should define? What is the right way for creating theme for emacs?

To find out what a particuar face is called just put your cursor over
the face and do M-x describe-face