Re: tramp sudo or not sudo on remote server

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: tramp sudo or not sudo on remote server
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:20:02 +0800

On Mon, Aug 29 2011, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> The tramp manual explains how to access files as root on a remote
>> server, with a two-jump system, but there doesn't seem to be any way to
>> do this selectively: if I define a proxy, it seems to have me as root
>> for all files on that server.
>>
>> Is there anyway to define two different methods for the same server, one
>> that operates as my normal user and one that does a second jump to work
>> as root?
>
> There is no need to apply sudo for a normal user, you could always
> access via ssh like "/ssh:user@host:". This does not interfere with your
> proxy settings for root.

Sorry, I think I confused myself by using .ssh/config to define
Host shortcuts for servers, such that "/bl:/path" goes to a certain host as a
certain user. Presumably I wouldn't be able to use this trick if I want
to use switch between my regular user and sudo. There are a couple of
awfully long host names, though -- are there any other shortcuts I can
use?

I tried defining another Host block ("sbl") in .ssh/config, where only the
hostname and not the user were specified, but /sudo:sbl:/path just told
me that sbl was a remote host and sudo couldn't be used for remote
hosts…

Thanks again, this at least got it working!

Eric