Re: Running process with grep-find interface is very slow

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Running process with grep-find interface is very slow
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:18:02 +0000 (UTC)

Tom <adatgyujto <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Why is it so much slower to run the same command via grep than
> via the command line?

Turns out it was the way I ran the command.

I created a small convenience function which always started the
search from the root directory of the project

(let ((default-directory rootdir))
  (grep-find (concat "c:/xampp/perl/bin/perl.exe c:/bin/ack -i " pattern)))

Looks like default-directory caused the problem, because if I change it
to this:

  (with-current-buffer (find-file-noselect rootdir)
    (grep-find (concat "c:/xampp/perl/bin/perl.exe c:/bin/ack -i " pattern)))

then it's not slow anymore.

It fixed the problem, though I don't really get the difference. Isn't
setting default-directory temporarily a usual way to make a directory
current for the duration of a function?