Perl "plugin" for Emacs

From: paxxus
Subject: Perl "plugin" for Emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:22:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'd like to be able to perform some text formatting in Perl as that will be
way faster for me than having to learn Lisp. Here's what I'm after:

1. Select a region in Emacs.
2. Press a key.
3. The selected text is passed to a Perl script.
4. Output from Perl script replaces the selected region.

Is this possible and what exactly would I have to put in my .emacs if, let's
say, the key I want to bind is F5 and the Perl script is located at
~/Emacs/format.pl

Thanks!