Useful syntax highlighting (font lock) in a mixed xml lua file

From: Timur Aydin
Subject: Useful syntax highlighting (font lock) in a mixed xml lua file
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:47:10 +0200

Hi,

I am working on an xml file that has an embedded CDATA section which contains lua source code. I am mostly working on the lua code and would like that code to be syntax highlighted by emacs. When I activate lua-mode, it understandably gets confused because of all the surrounding xml. When I activate xml-mode, the xml stuff is properly syntax highlighted, but the lua code in the CDATA section is uniformly colored plain text.

Is there a way to utilize font-lock mode in a sensible manner? I attempted to put the lua code in a separate file (script.lua) and then included it into the xml using DOCTYPE and ENTITY tags, but this didn't help, because I don't have any control over the software that parses this xml file. It isn't able to deal with extra xml tags.

So my only hope is to be able to tell emacs to font-lock a region bounded by a CDATA tag using lua-mode and to font-lock the rest using xml-mode. Is there a way to do this?

--
Timur Aydin