Re: Forcing M-X compile to split window vertically?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Forcing M-X compile to split window vertically?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:57:30 -0700

Roy Smith wrote:
> I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.1.  When I run M-X compile, the window is
> split into two.  Depending on the aspect ratio of my original
> window, it automagically splits it horizontally or vertically.  How
> can I force it to only split vertically?

I found that annoying too.  The documentation says:

     By default, these commands split the window vertically when there is
  only one.  You can customize the variables `split-height-threshold' and
  `split-width-threshold' to split the window horizontally instead.

So setting split-width-threshold to nil solves the problem.

  (setq split-width-threshold nil)

Bob