Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 00:10:26 -0700

Angel de Vicente wrote:
> I run Emacs in text mode, inside GNUScreen, running in a
> gnome-terminal. As a result, many key combinations don't get sent to
> Emacs properly. For example, M-SPC gets to Emacs as C-M-j. Since I run
> Emacs always like this, and basically I live inside Emacs, I would be
> willing to spend some time trying to find a way out of this
> problem. Searching the web has not really helped much...
>
> Any help on where I should be looking?

Since the problem you described is with the terminal emulator that you
described the place to fix it would seem to be in the terminal
emulator.  It would seem that gnome-terminal is the deficient code in
the path between your keyboard and emacs.

For what it is worth I live inside emacs inside an xterm and M-SPC is
propagated correctly by xterm.  I do have "Meta Sends Escape"
(XTerm*metaSendsEscape:true) configured in my Xresources for xterm.

Perhaps using xterm would be a solution for you?

Bob