RE: How do I bypass Tramp? [was:Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How do I bypass Tramp? [was:Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?]
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 22:32:43 -0800

> I've been running emacs 19.34 for decades (its practically
> perfect) I was horrified when my usual method of file
> transfer - ange-ftp - was replaced by tramp

Just set option `tramp-default-method' to `ftp'.
AFAIK, that causes Tramp to pass through to ange-ftp.  I don't think you will
see any slowdown, but I'm no expert on this.

Later, when you are more comfortable, you might want to give other methods
(i.e., Tramp per se) a try.  And you might even find later that a recent Emacs
version is more convenient and more useful than 19.34.  YMMV, though.