Re: Want to grep for text in selected coding...

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: Want to grep for text in selected coding...
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:47:10 +0200

On 2012-02-15, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenko@bifit.com.ua>
>> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:52:44 +0200
>>
>> I am big fun of 'rgrep' but some times I need search for text in coding that
>> differ from system coding (like for text in koi8-r in UTF-8 Debian or UTF-8
>> text in cp1251 Windows).
>>
>> I try 'C-x RET C coding... RET M-x rgrep' (universal-coding-system-argument)
>> but this is not help.
>
> You cannot change the grep program by Emacs wizardry.
>
> I suggest to use "M-x occur" and its derivatives instead.

Sorry for long delay in respond.

Just for info I ask same question at:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9290211/look-how-to-search-a-text-in-selected-coding-system-in-files-hierarhy

Personally I found bad about Emacs that it depends on tools which come from
'70 (like find, grep, ls) and work perfectly only with LANG=C.

Two year ago with help from gnu.emacs.help I make Dired independent from
system 'ls' (Cygwin ls use my LANG=cp1251 but Cygwin /etc/passwd always use
UTF-8 so I have wrongly displayed owner filed which broke column indenting):

  ;; If non-nil - use 'insert-directory-program', which I dislike.
  (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program nil)
  (setq ls-lisp-ignore-case t)
  (setq ls-lisp-dirs-first t)
  (if (memq system-type '(windows-nt cygwin))
      (setq ls-lisp-verbosity nil)
    (setq  ls-lisp-verbosity '(links uid gid)))
  ;; Force use 'ls-lisp-format-time-list'.
  (setq ls-lisp-use-localized-time-format t)
  (setq ls-lisp-format-time-list
        '("%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"
  (require 'ls-lisp)

Now time for ))GREP(( independent search... Only with Emacs build-ins...

Emacs must take example from Far manager which have option to perform search
in all codings suitable  for Russian lang (cp866, cp1251, koi8-r, UTF-8).

I can not use Emacs in translation project where I need fix all occurrence of
wrong translation.

What possibilities exist in this filed?

--
Best regards!