Re: First character beeps screen sometimes

From: Aaron Meurer
Subject: Re: First character beeps screen sometimes
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:03:34 -0700

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> I could use some help debugging an annoying problem.  Sometimes when I
>> start emacs,
>
> When you start or later?  Further on you seem to suggest it happens well after
> startup.

Ah, what I mean is, when I start emacsclient, i.e., when I open a
file.  If I could figure out how to reproduce this consistently, I
could check if it happens with regular emacs or not.

>> the first character I type is not inserted, but rather,
>> causes the screen to flash....
>> it happens almost every time I edit a commit message after making a
>> commit in a git repository (but not every time).
>
> This probably won't help, but have you checked that Emacs is not expecting you
> to answer something like `y-or-n-p'? If you type something it doesn't want
> that
> will result in a beep (visible or audible).

I never notice any.  I usually only notice this because I start typing
and the first character is not entered (hence why this is so
annoying).  But I don't think there's anything like that, or at least
not visible.  I've noticed that emacsclient doesn't always show
everything (for example, if there's a problem in my init file, regular
emacs will tell me about the problem, but emacsclient, even with the
first start of the daemon, will not).

Aaron Meurer