Re: emacs newbie

From: rusi
Subject: Re: emacs newbie
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:18:14 -0000

On Jul 4, 3:05 pm, C K Kashyap <ckkash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a long time VI user. I have decided to switch to emacs for two reasons

Welcome!

> -
> 1. I've become a fan of functional programming and would like to be able to
> use emacs lisp

This is a vague statement.
You want to use elisp as a functional language?

Or do you want to use emacs for Haskell/Erlang/F# etc?

> 2. I'm trying to learn lift web framework - was impressed with emacs looking
> at David Pollac and few other few other folks
>
> I've gone through the tutorial. I was wondering if there is a recommended
> tutorial/writeup that I can go over?

Yes this is the bare minimum to get used to
- strange keys -- C-x is different from everything else on the planet
(for that matter does anybody outside emacs even understand that 'C-x'
means control-X?),
- weird terminology -- what everyone calls Alt emacs calls meta, what
emacs refers to as window, is not what you would expect and so on.

But it does not take more than a couple of days to get used to all
this.

After that its important that you focus on getting good at what you
want rather than getting lost through mountains of documentation which
may be of scant interest.

So muck around for a few days and come back with specific questions :-)