Re: help reading assembly code

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: help reading assembly code
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:25:42 -0000

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to be able to read more easily assembly code (since I
> really don't do it very often).
>
> For example it would be nice to have some function which shows me a
> reference documentation given the operator.
>
> On emacswiki there appears to be not much, anyone has something
> hand-made that would like to share?

I did something similar for the asm-7090 "mode" I wrote:
https://gitorious.org/com-informatimago/emacs/blobs/master/pjb-asm7090.el

See asm7090-describe-codop.  You could even do that in a
post-command-hook, or on mouse or arrow events so that the instructions
are always explained.  It would also possible to attach tooltips to the
instructions so that you get the description on a mouse over.

(Since I used that mode to transcribe asm-7090 code, I call
asm7090-describe-codop in the command bound to RET, as you can see in
asm7090).