Problem with word search

From: Burkhard Schultheis
Subject: Problem with word search
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:25:07 +0200

I searched in Google groups in this group for my problem and found an old discussion from 2007 for my problem, but it does not answer my question because the discussion was inconsistent: Someone stated that "word-search-forward machine" does _not_ find "running_machine_state". But another one stated it would (and should) find the longer "word". And this is the case with my emacs 21.3.1 (it's a development server where I cannot install the newest version).

How can I change this behavior? Or is it OK in Version 21? Or how should I search for a word? I've tried the regular expression \bmachine\b and it does find "running_machine_state" too! I think, this is the problem, but why? And how can I change it?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Burkhard