Re: font problem from emacs 23.3 to 23.4???

From: rusi
Subject: Re: font problem from emacs 23.3 to 23.4???
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:58:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 27, 7:45 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 27.07.2012 um 15:38 schrieb rusi:
>
> > I am not sure its an emacs issue or gnome issue whose version is also
> > different.
>
> Check things in *scratch* buffer and check them inside an Emacs launched with
> -Q! You can load packages from inside the *scratch* buffer and also perform
> some customisation. A minimal set can also be put into an Elisp file and you
> can launch GNU Emacs as: 'emacs -Q -l <that Elisp file>'.
>
> I launched GNU Emacs 23.4 this way:
>
>         emacs-23.4 -geometry 123x75+27+123 -T 23.4opt --debug-init -fn Lucida
> Sans Typewriter:autohint=true:antialias=true:size=9
>
> The font is inside Java. The ASCII characters and ← are displayed by Lucida
> Sans Typewriter, ⍴ and ⍳ by DejaVu Sans Mono. This happens with an automatic
> fontset. You can set up your own fontset and reserve Unicode ranges for
> particular fonts which can supply the glyphs.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

Thanks Pete for looking at this.

Ok So I  put the cursor on the box which should be an arrow and did
describe-char. I get:

       character: ← (8592, #o20620, #x2190)
preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
       code point: 0x2190
           syntax: .    which means: punctuation
         category: .:Base, c:Chinese, h:Korean, j:Japanese
      buffer code: #xE2 #x86 #x90
        file code: #xE2 #x86 #x90 (encoded by coding system utf-8-
unix)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-microsoft-Sahadeva-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-0-
iso10646-1 (#x250)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LEFTWARDS ARROW
  old-name: LEFT ARROW
  general-category: Sm (Symbol, Math)

When I manually set it to deja-vu-sans it works.

So how do I tell xft not to take microsoft-Sahadeva?