Re: [VM] Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: Carson Chittom
Subject: Re: [VM] Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:59:13 -0500

James Freer <jessejazza@gmail.com> writes:

> Thing is i'd like to stay 'simple' but Rmail could at least be
> developed to handletake IMAP.
> Gnus is 'geek' application - "Lepers" like me struggle to get it setup.

And Emacs is simple?  The mere fact that there's a mail client, at all,
of any sort, included with a text editor (much less more than one) to my
mind pretty much throws "simple" by the wayside.  That's not a
criticism--I'm sending this from Gnus--but just an observation that if
simplicity is your goal, I'm not sure an MUA in Emacs is the way to go.

Also, I've never used VM, but looking at EmacsWiki's "QuickStart" page
for VM[1], it seems to me that putting

(setq vm-spool-files `((,vm-primary-inbox
                        "imap:HOST:PORT:MAILBOX:AUTH:USER:PASSWORD"
                        ,vm-crash-box)))

in ~/.vm isn't any more or less complex than putting

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "mail"
               (nnimap-address "HOST")
               (nnimap-server-port PORT)
               (nnimap-stream AUTH)))

in ~/.gnus.

So I'm not sure where you're coming from.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ViewMailQuickStart