RE: Load color-theme in init.el

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Load color-theme in init.el
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:18:24 -0700

> > > I finally figured out that apparently in Emacs 24
> > > color-theme is (slightly?) deprecated.
> >
> > No, color-theme is not at all deprecated.  It has never
> > been part of GNU Emacs, so GNU Emacs cannot deprecate it.
> > It is a third-party library, color-theme.el, and it is still
> > available AFAIK.
>
> I believe starting with the following commit:
>
>   commit 2faa2c5d69f36c29cdd3b654f4cc9c4b89c81e5a
>   Author: Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org>
>   Date:   Mon Apr 23 02:04:54 2012 +0800
>       * faces.el (face-spec-set): Stop supporting deprecated
>         form of third arg.
>
> color-theme stopped working properly with Emacs 24.  I switched to
> custom-theme soon after, so I don't know if the situation has changed.

OK, good to know, I guess.  You are reporting that color-theme.el no longer
works with GNU Emacs.  Sorry to hear that.  I was reporting only that (a) GNU
Emacs cannot deprecate color-theme.el (by definition) and (b) color-theme.el is
still available.

But it should be straightforward to update color-theme.el to no longer use
`face-spec-set' (said without bothering to look at the code), should anyone want
to do that.  It should be enough to use `face-set-attribute' (and perhaps
`face-spec-chooose'), to replace using `face-spec-set'.

Of course, there is no guarantee that with just that change color-theme.el will
work with Emacs 24.

On n'arrete pas le progres...