Re: Fontifying-errors make Emacs (mostly) unusable

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Fontifying-errors make Emacs (mostly) unusable
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:51:00 +0200

>> 3. comment out this defun (at line 1954):
>> ;; (defun markdown-fontify-buffer-wiki-links ()
>> 4. save and eval-buffer (or load marktest.el)
>> 5. find (new empty) file test.md
>> 6. put it in markdown-mode (M-x markdown-mode)
>> #Bang#
>> 'Symbol is void...' error message
>> try M-x, M-:, C-x d, nothing works, you are trapped.
>
> I see it, yes.
>
> Actually it's only the minibuffer-using functions which are affected and
> only while the markdown-mode buffer is displayed in your frame, so if
> you switch buffer (without minibuffer interaction, e.g. by clicking on
> the buffer-name in the mode-line), then M-x works again (and you can C-x
> k the offending markdown-mode buffer).

Using emacs-server and emacsclients, I used my window-manager to get to
another emacsclient window and write these mails with gnus. But to
continue working on my markdown-clone.el and the test.md file, I had to
restart emacs-server.

> The fix is to run window-configuration-change-hook with the trick as
> used for pre-command-hook (and various other hooks).  The only problem
> is that window-configuration-change-hook is a highly non-standard hook
> which cannot be run by the usual run_hook functions, so it'll require
> more work to make Emacs behave gracefully.

I now fixed all those errors for my usecase. If its worth to fix the
general behaviour would be your decision, thats a bit too specific for
me to be of any help there. Only wanted to report the problem.

--
cheers,
Thorsten