Re: define a keybinding for "find next alternate definition of last tag

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: define a keybinding for "find next alternate definition of last tag specified"
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:00:30 -0700

On 2/27/13 6:53 AM, Burkhard Schultheis wrote:
Am 27.02.2013 13:36, schrieb Burkhard Schultheis:
I want to have a single keystroke for the keystroke sequence C-u m-.
(find next alternate definition of last tag specified). as far as I see
there is no command associated with this action.

How can I define a global key in my .emacs file for this action?

Thank you in advance!

In the meantime I've tried it several ways, last test was:

(defun find-next-tag ()
"Find next tag with TAGS file"
((kdb <C-u>) (kbd <M-.>)))

It looks like you're intending to set the function binding to a key
sequence, which effectively defines find-next-tag as keyboard macro.

But it needs to be a proper string or vector of keyboard events, not a
lambda form (which is what defun installs) so you need to use fset:

(fset 'find-next-tag "\C-u\M-.")

(fset 'find-next-tag [?\C-u ?\M-.])

(global-set-key [M-f9] 'find-next-tag)

If a try Alt-F9 I get an error message reading "Wrong type argument: commandp,
find-next-tag"

I've tried it with the function names, too, but I got every time the same error
message.

What's wrong and how to do it right?

Regards
Burkhard