Re: narrow color bar using display properties

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: narrow color bar using display properties
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 09:52:15 +0800

>> > I don't get it: do you mean to have a color bar to the left
>> > of _every_ character in a region of text?
>>
>> I think Eric has a horizontal bar cursor and wants to
>> "underline" text.
>
> Really?  In that case, I don't understand Stefan's message saying that you
> can't
> do that with Emacs.
>
> You can easily use a face that has attribute `underline' and/or `overline' as
> text property or overlay.  And the line(s) can be any color.
>
> (Like Eli, I too did (do?) not understand what the request is.)

Ha, sorry to create confusion, I thought I'd articulated myself well! I
do want a color bar to the left of a series of characters, but
vertically-aligned characters, creating a multi-line vertical bar (I'm
trying to prettify Org Agenda's display of multi-day agenda items).

Initial experimentation indicates that Michael Heerdegen's stipple
suggestion might do the trick!

Thanks,
Eric