Re: About `name' in loadup.el

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: About `name' in loadup.el
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:02:49 +0800

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:27:37 +0100
Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:

> () Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com>
> () Sun, 10 Mar 2013 08:11:24 +0800
>
>    I'm confused here.
>
>    [questions]
>
>    Can anybody help?

Thanks for your attention.  This might have been a mode --
xue-fuqiao-ask-mode...

> I think you can help yourself, and others to help you, if you explain
> how it is that you believe yourself to be confused.

That's true.  Hasty-sounding questions get hasty answers, or none at
all, I know that.  People on these newsgroups are volunteers. They take
time out of busy lives to answer questions, and at times they're
overwhelmed with the questions.  So I'm always finding a way to reduce
questions, or to enhance the quality of questions.

As I said in this thread, I usually do many things before asking a
questions:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-01/msg00076.html

>  For example:
>
>  I understand that [...] but it seems that the code does [...]
>
> This way, the answers can address the misunderstanding directly (if
> there is any -- perhaps you are not confused after all!), instead of
> stating (or pointing to) things that you might already know well enough.
> Why pay to rebuild the house when only the lightbulb needs replacement?

Sometimes I will ask a stupid question; sorry for that.  IRC often give
the quickest response, but I want my question to be archived in order
that I can easily check them later.  And it can help many other people.

To help other people, I can add some questions to the Emacs FAQ, since
the Emacs FAQ is extremely crufty and hardly likely to answer any
question frequently asked today.

English is my native language, I am familiar with the technical terms
(at least with most terms in Emacs), but many slang expressions and idioms
are difficult for me.

And sometimes I'll report a bug, that's a different issue.  I'll not
discuss it here now.

If I ask a code problem, I'll try to provide a minimal test case, but it
is not always be possible.

> Adopting this approach is beneficial in another way: You will no longer
> need to ask the somewhat pointless question "Can anybody help?".  The
> answer to that question is always "yes".  (Likewise, the answer to "Who
> can help?" must necessarily include "Xue Fuqiao". :-D)

I won't close my request for help with semantically-null questions like
“Can anyone help?” any more, because they are superfluous and annoying —
like what you said.

Answering one good question is like feeding a hungry person one meal,
but teaching them (in this case, me) skills is showing them how to grow
food for a lifetime.  I really appreciate your answers with patience,
and sorry for my poor English.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao