File Encoding Issue on Windows

From: Tech Stuff
Subject: File Encoding Issue on Windows
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 20:08:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I use Emacs on Windows to write Spanish text.  In order to enter the special characters I installed the US international keyboard layout.  I never changed any variables in Emacs (in fact, I don't think that I've ever even touched the .emacs file on this machine) and things have just always worked fine.  Last week however, when I opened one of my recent files in notepad to print it out, there were some extra characters, one before every extended character (ie, é) in the file.  I googled around and I made some changes (unfortunately, I don't recall exactly what they were, but I think that I explictly saved the files in UTF-8) and I thought that all was good.  Not so much though.  Today I opened one of the files in Emacs and again the special characters are incorrect, though this time in new and interesting ways.  Here's an example of what I see in the buffer:

 Â¿En qué fecha llegaron

when I should see:

¿En qué fecha llegaron

(hopefully these things post correctly to the mail lists)

Obviously this has something to do with encoding (though I can't imagine why it started all of the sudden) but I'm afraid that I'm out of my depth.  I only want to be able to write text in emacs and save it such that it can subsequently be opened both in ms notepad and emacs again and have all of the characters render correctly.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'd be happy to post any information you might need to diagnose this.  Here is the version information:

GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

Thanks!