RE: Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permis

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permission?
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:26:17 +0000

> From: Glen
> Subject: Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root
> permission?

> I just want to use a newer emacs on the local server where I don't have root
> permission. Any suggestions?

Sure, using configure, specify a directory over which you have complete control
instead of the default /usr/local.  Someone else may chime in with the detailed
option name (I don't have the source in front of me).

I've done this (... uhh, a coupl'a decades ago...) specifying my home
directory.  Then "make install" drops everything into subdirectories (of the
specified directory) named bin, lib, etc.

> Is there someway  to compile emacs with static library (NOT shared library)?

With respect, I think this is the wrong question to ask.  If you have
configured as I suggest above, you then only need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
include the <dir>/lib directory in order for the shared library to be found.

Hope this makes sense,
Mark