Re: Bind right shift and TAB won't work

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Bind right shift and TAB won't work
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 12:09:17 -0600

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> ... *but*, I actually do have an X server running. And, this is
> sometimes useful even for CLI-only purposes. For example, I use the
> X clipboard to copy and paste from one tty into another. As it shows
> on `where xo' (and `xi')
> in zsh:
>
> xo: aliased to xclip -d ":0" -selection clipboard -o
> xi: aliased to xclip -d ":0" -selection clipboard
>
> Perhaps there is a better way to do this (with screen?), but just to
> illustrate how X can be useful even when you are not "using" it. I
> thought it was kind of cute, anyway.

That is a clever hack. :-)

However by the time you are doing that you could also simply store the
cut and paste text in a file too.  Since you aren't using X otherwise.
It would be no different then.  Right?  Just save the text to a file
and then copy from it.

  alias xo='cat ~/.clipboard'
  alias xi='cat > ~/.clipboard'

Although I would probably write them as shell scripts so that I could
call them from anywhere.

(BTW...  I am still impressed by the clever hack to use the X server
when otherwise not using it. [smile])

Bob