Re: Switching to a buffer in .emacs does not work

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Switching to a buffer in .emacs does not work
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:13:59 -0600

On 5/21/13 2:04 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
In my .emacs I have:
     (gnus)
     (switch-to-buffer "*Group*")

But when starting emacs Gnus is started, but the switch to the *Group*
buffer does not happen. (That is why I initially thought Gnus was not
started.)

What does it display?  My guess is the splash screen.

But when I give after the switch-to-buffer:
     M-x M-e

Do you mean C-x C-e (which is bound to eval-last-sexp in Emacs-Lisp buffers
like .emacs)?

I switch to the buffer. So the command is correct. Why does it not
work then?

See the "Entering Emacs" node of the Emacs manual, and the command-line-1
function in startup.el

You could try adding this to your .emacs:

(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)

Or start Emacs like this (via an alias or script, for convenience):

emacs -f gnus --eval '(switch-to-buffer "*Group*")'

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA