Re: Debugging Elisp

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Debugging Elisp
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 15:44:35 +0200

Miguel Guedes <miguel.a.guedes@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello List,
>
> Is it possible to set up emacs so as to output more meaningful messages
> when it steps into errors?
>
> I'd be so *very* grateful if someone contributed a tip that makes emacs
> output a line:col pair when it steps into an error as messages of the
> kind below are just so frustrating to debug (especially so when it's hard
> to replicate what causes them):
>
> Error in post-command-hook: (wrong-type-argument characterp wrong-type-
> argument)

M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET

Now, in post-command-hooks, when there's an error, the hook is removed
IIRC, so you have to put it back in, or invoke it separately to debug
it.

When you enter the debugger, you can then go over some link and type RET
to jump to the source of the faulty expression.

You can take the lisper out of the lisp job, but you can't take the lisp out
of the lisper (; -- antifuchs