How to use GNU intlfonts (aka misc-fixed fonts) on W32 emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: How to use GNU intlfonts (aka misc-fixed fonts) on W32 emacs
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 11:54:47 +0100

(I'm guessing this question pops up a lot here, but I would still appreciate an
up-do-date answer)

I'm trying to use the fontset know as "misc-fixed" in linux emacsen on a windows
32 emacs. The GNU emacs for windows FAQ still mentions some 'w32-bdf-*'
functions

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Fonts-and-text-translation.html

and my GNU Emacs 24.3.1 for windows still defines `w32-bdf-filename-alist' but
not `w32-find-bdf-fonts'.

I was feeling lucky until I read the emacs 23 release notes quoted from:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8109285/how-to-use-bdf-fonts-in-emacs-for-windows

"** BDF fonts no longer supported on MS-Windows. The font backend was completely
rewritten for this release. The focus on Windows has been getting acceptable
performance and full unicode support, including complex script shaping for
native Windows fonts. A rewrite of the BDF font support has not happened due to
lack of time and developers. If demand still exists for such a backend even with
the improved language support for native Windows fonts, future development in
this direction will most likely be based on the freetype library, giving access
to a wider range of font formats."

:-(

My question is, does anyone know of a way to get decent non-aliased misc-fixed
fonts on windows, just like the ones I attach in this screenshot?

--
João Távora