Re: delete-region - is their a way to get the deleted text?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: delete-region - is their a way to get the deleted text?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:15:45 +0200

Hi Peter, Hi Barry,
> Am 13.06.2013 um 23:08 schrieb Barry Margolin:
>
>> I can't figure out what this interpretation means.

sorry for the confusion my comma-less English caused, you are not the
first ones critizising this (it actually started in high-school) and its
not restricted to Englisch (the number of commas in some German texts I
wrote doubled after a second author/editor had a look at them ;).

But in German in actually no problem anymore, since they made so many
language reforms in the past decades that we lost track and started to
use phonetic spelling again like in Martin Luther's time ...

> That's OK! From time to time I am satisfied when I understand what I
> said. Or wrote.
>
>> Are "deleted with" and "inside that function" both saying the same thing?
>
> Not to me! But I am not an US American.
>
>> Where do the missing commas go?
>
> For the German language I would know it by heart, we have (no, we *had*, in
> last millennium) clear rules. For English I would wish I would like to know
> the exact rules – if there were any.

I meant this:

- there is a function that does what I want
- except it uses delete-region in its implementation
- because I need access to the deleted string

and my question was, [watch the comma!] if there is a way to resuse the
function, [!] and somehow recover the deleted region? It was not about
writing my own function with an alternative implementation (e.g.
kill-region).

>> For the interpretation you have, isn't that what wipe-region does?
>
> I don't know that function. When was it deleted? I mentioned to Thorsten a
> similar function, "kill-region", which, as far as I know, is interactively
> putting the wiped out text into the kill-ring.

There are some interesting hacks proposed as solutions in the thread,
thanks for your interest!

--
cheers,
Thorsten