Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:06:41 +0200

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> ... the next time I start Emacs it does not run because I find
> that I had not renamed all foo-references to
> long-proper-name-for-foo.

This renaming habit is perhaps not a good one. Still, it should be
possible to do with `replace-string' - in particular if you tweak
it to be case sensitive, and only replace whole words (i.e., not
substrings).

This is probably the best thing to do! But, otherwise, you could
possibly benefit from

(put 'not-a-function-anymore 'disabled t)

Another solution if you think it is tedious to work with long
function names, but still want them because they tell a lot, and
you want it to be consistent with the Emacs style, you could do
use `defalias' as in:

(defun kill-line-number-at-point ()
  "Kill the line number at point,
   according to `line-number-at-pos'."
  (interactive)
  (kill-new (format "%d" (line-number-at-pos))) )
(defalias 'kl 'kill-line-number-at-point)

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573