Re: How to communicate with a running external process with

From: Buchs, Kevin J.
Subject: Re: How to communicate with a running external process with
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:27:06 +0000

Thorsten,

Your questions and responses suggest that maybe you are not grasping some
basics of interprocess communication. You have some other program running in
another process, not started by emacs and you want to communicate with it. A
critical factor in such communication will be knowing how that other program is
set up to communicate. Some programs are developed to have standard
communication ports and protocols, like HTTP. Unix/Linux supports signals
(kill) which a program may be set up accept and respond appropriately toward. A
program may support TCP/IP or Unix sockets. A program may read and write files.
You might have shared memory space or semaphores. There are dozens of different
mechanisms. Emacs supports some of them out of the box. It might be that you
can extend emacs by writing code to support other mechanisms. Another
alternative is for emacs to communicate with a subprocess it creates running a
program designed to communicate with the other process. However, what does the
other program support? This is the question you need to answer. We can't make
up an answer for you.

As an analogy, if you and I wish to speak, we may need to speak face to face.
If we don't speak the same language we have trouble. Maybe we can talk on the
telephone, but if you don't have a telephone, we are not going to speak that
way. Communication takes appropriate coordination for the sender and receiver.

Kevin Buchs | Senior Engineer | SPPDG | 507-538-5459 | buchs.kevin@mayo.edu
Mayo Clinic | 200 First Street SW | Rochester, MN 55905 | http://www.mayo.edu