Re: exec path

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: exec path
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:56:20 +0200

Am 28.08.2013 um 01:54 schrieb Suvayu Ali:

> The OP is on a Mac.  I'm not sure Macs respect the rule: source the
> profile file at login.

It does. The problem is that Mac OS X windowing applications are not launched
from a shell. So these processes can't inherit what's not there.

PATH and MANPATH can be set up by putting small files containing the path to
the executables or the man directory into the directories /private/etc/paths.d
resp. /private/etc/manpaths.d. The name of the files should give some good hint
what they are about (I have for example "X11", "MacGPG2", "40-XQuartz", …).
These files plus /private/etc/paths resp. /private/etc/manpaths set up PATH
resp. MANPATH for processes launched by Mac OS X.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.