Re: Strange characters produced by M-x in emacs -nw

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: Strange characters produced by M-x in emacs -nw
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 13:10:49 -0400

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Running recent emacs-24
> on Debian Linux
>
> I don't often use emacs -nw any more and just noticed today that I
> have some kind of charset or LANG setting problem that is causing
> unusual characters to be printed to my files when using the ALT key
> for combos like M-x.
>
> (I hope these characters are reproduced in this post)
>
> `M-x' produces   'ø'
> `M-Shift + !' produces '¡'
> `M-shift + :  produces 'º'
>
> What kind of setting is likely to be causing this?

You're `Alt` key is almost certainly being captured by your terminal
app and translated to a unicode char.

Terminal apps generally have a setting which can translate `Alt` to
`Esc+` or something which should get you the behavior you're looking
for.

In the event that your terminal app or OS doesn't have such a setting,
you can also press the Meta key by hitting `Esc` followed by the key.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/