Re: Do you recommend Emacs snapshot?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Do you recommend Emacs snapshot?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 20:02:50 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Morale: if you don't have time to deal with those issues and help the
> developers to fix them, you'll better stick to an stable release and
> upgrade only when you see a strong reason for it.

Right.  Most of the time, it's very stable.  It's an absolute exception
that it's not usable, but it may happen, of course.  For me, fixed bugs
and new features count more than the potential new bugs and problems.
In any case it's good to have another version as fallback.  BTW, trunk
(from which emacs-snapshot is compiled from) is more stable in the time
before the next release (after the freeze), and less stable after a
release when new features are added.

You could also build emacs yourself.  Using the precompiled package is
easier, of course, but it also has the advantage that it will work with
Emacs add on packages installed at your system.  That advantage is not
so important anymore in the times of Gnu Elpa, however.

Regards,

Michael.